Posts Tagged ‘jsErrLog’

Keeping a-head in the clouds

November 19, 2013

One of the great things about developing on today’s cloud platforms is elastic computing. You never know what the peaks are going to look like, but you don’t want to pay for hardware you’ll only use once in a blue moon. So you opt for a dynamically adaptive scalable solution.

If you’re read any of my posts about jsErrLog (or “jsErrLog posts” if it’s still down) you’ll know that’s what I did for that service. As I’m offering it for free to anyone with a reasonable load I needed something as cost effective as possible (ie free!). When I built it I looked at Windows Azure, Amazon’s EC2, a few smaller options, Virtual Private Servers and finally settled on Google AppEngine – in common with the others it offered a number of options for programming languages and data storage but the big bonus was a no-nonsense the free tier.

Sometimes however things don’t go quite as planned…

(more…)

jsErrLog: now alerts via XMPP

June 13, 2011

Although it’s nice to know that the jsErrLog service is sitting there recording errors that your users are seeing it does put the onus on developers to remember to check the report page for their URL to see if there have been any issues.

To make things a little more pro-active registered users can now connect to an XMPP (Google Chat) client (eg Digsby) and every time there’s a new error reported the bot will send you an alert.

Because you might get a flurry of messages if you deploy a version and there’s an error, or a 3rd party component has a problem the bot also listens to a set of messages so it’s easy to suspect the alerting (or turn it back on when the problem has been fixed).

At the moment there a few restrictions:

·         alerts have to match a specific URL

·         for a given user all alerts are turned off/on (no per URL granularity)

·         alerting is only available to users who’ve made a donation or promoted jsErrLog

The reason for the first one is a limitation with the way AppEngine lets me query data (unlike SQL the GQL query language does not support the CONTAINS or LIKE verbs)… I’m looking for a solution to that

The second is a feature that I plan to add soon depending on demand.

The third… at the moment it takes a little bit of setup to add new users so I’m adding it as the first freemium feature though this may change. If you want that enabled please let me know the URL you are monitoring and your Google Chat ID and I’ll let you know what else you need to do to enable it…

jsErrLog – now with XML

June 9, 2011

To help analyze data from jsErrLog – my Javascript Error Log service – I added a new feature today: An XML data feed for reports.

You can access a report as normal and view it in the browser, eg the sample report and on there you will now see a direct link to the XML version of the report.

If you know the name of the URL you want to report against then you simple access it via http://jserrlog.appspot.com/report.xml?sn=http://blog.offbeatmammal.com where the parameter after the sn is the URL you want to query.

Image001

Both the report and the XML show up to the last 500 results for the URL. I plan to add limits to the XML feed, and pagination to the HTML report in a future release (let me know in the comments what’s more important, and any other requests). I would like to implement a full OData feed for the data but haven’t found a good Python / App Engine sample out there yet…

One great thing about having the data available as an XML source is that you can add it as a Data Source in Excel and from there filter and sort to your hearts content

Image002


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 589 other followers